Friday, December 26, 2008

Cowboy Silhouette


There probably isn't a more enjoyable form of shooting competition than Cowboy Silhouette. Shooting leverguns, offhand at reactive targets at various ranges is great fun. It is quite challenging too. Hitting a 'Ram' that is about as big as a sheet of paper isn't easy at 100 yards - but is sure is satisfying.

I'm no expert at this game by a long stretch - I manage a little more than half per round. The physical part is easier to master than the mental. I find that pacing is key for me - pausing between shots, resting the eyes for a few seconds, taking a few breaths before raising the rifle, aiming and squeezing off another shot.

Next year I plan to equip one of the Mounties with a Skinner Peep Sight for this competition. My half century old eyes are challenged by the factory open sights. I'm hoping the Skinners will get my score up into the thirties.

No comments: