Monday, June 01, 2009

Marlin 336

These things keep following me home
image hosting by http://www.myhostedpics.com/

Range report re-posts

2 December 2007 - This was my first trip out with this rifle. The 170 grain Sierra and Oregon Trail Laser-Cast bullets look promising and the commercial Federal 170 grain ammo performed well too. I was disappointed in the 150 gr Remington bulk bullets.

Details:
-1976 vintage
-20” Microgoove barrel.
-Weather: Lightly snowing, 32*, wind quartering from right front and COLD.
-25 & 50 yard targets, 3-5 shot groups
-All reloads crimped with the Lee Factory Crimp

Not meant to be a reloading guide but if you use it, double check data and use at your own risk.

Bulk Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt JRN
-IMR 4895 (70’s vintage), 30.5 gr, (IMR data) = 2032 fps, 1” 25 yard, 2.25” 50 yard groups
-IMR3031, 30gr, (IMR data) = 2180 fps, 7/8” 25 yard group, 2” 50 yard groups
-Varget, 33gr (Hodgdon data) = 2120 fps, ¾” 25 yard group. 1-1/2” 50 yard groups.

I had hoped for better since these are relatively inexpensive and have a good reputation for hunting. I have enough to keep trying but unless there is a dramatic improvement in accuracy I'm probably not going to buy these again.

Sierra 170gr JFP
-IMR 3031 29.5gr (IMR data) = 2036 fps, 3/8” 25 yard, 13/16” 50 yard group.

This one is showing some promise. I'm down to my last batch of these but the new rifle shoots them better than my other two 30-30s so far.

Federal Power Shok 170gr JRN
-Factory Ammo = 2163 fps 7/8” 50 yard group

This is that sale ammo I bought early this fall. Shoots well in all the rifles I've tested it in including some that aren't my own... In my 336CB the average velocity = advertised velocity. Good ammo and the price after rebates was better than I could have reloaded it for.

Oregon Trail

Laser-Cast 170gr LRNFP, I lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and added a Hornady gas check
-IMR 4227 17gr (Lyman Data) =1637 fps, ¾” 25 yard group, 1-5/8” 50 yard group.
-IMR SR4756, (gmdr.com data) 6gr. No chrony data. ½” 25 yard group.
-IMR SR4756, (Lyman Data) 10.4gr, no chrony data, <1”>
Saturday, August 30, 2008
336 Texan

93 grain Lyman mold cast (wheel weights) bullet, sized .311"
3.3 grains of Red Dot (=.5cc Lee powder scoop)
Remington 9.5 primer
Winchester Brass
Loaded with a $20 Lee Loader

I was given a few hundred of these bullets and I've been toying around with them in the 30-30. The last time out I tried them with 5 grains of Red Dot and averaged 1178 fps with OK accuracy. This time I dropped the load to 3.3 grains and averaged 1007 fps. The accuracy was 2-1/2" at 50 yards with iron sights and it shoots about 2" lower than 170gr Remington Corelokt factory loads. At 25 yards It managed to keep them at 1" including the flier and shot point of aim. it would make a good close range Grouse load.

The surprise of the day:
.314" average ~48 grain Buckshot pressed into the case with thumb pressure
a 22lr case full of Bullseye powder
Remington 9.5 primer
S&B case (terrible brass, I won't reuse them again)

Out of curiosity I decided to try this load at 50 yards. I was VERY pleased to see that it shot point of aim and about 2" group size. Much better than I had anticipated at this range and better than the 93 grain load. The load averaged 1059 fps. At 25 yards this shoots under 1" and just slightly below the point of aim. Very economical. The most expensive component is the primer. The report is less than a 22lr

Next I ran some 170 grain factory Remington Core-lokt's through which currently a $5 per box rebate going on... Get it on sale and you'll end up paying less than $0.50 per round for it. This batch ran through the chronograph 2253 fps average which is a 100 fps quicker than previous batches I've purchased. The accuracy was good, just slightly over 1" at 50 yards with iron sights.

This rifle loves and is sighted in for a 170 grain Laser-Cast bullet over 5 grains of Red Dot. I shot a 3/4" fifty yard group as a baseline and it averages 1024 fps.

[B]The Cowboy[/B]
The last trip out the Cowboy showed a strong preference for the Ranch Dog TLC311-165 bullet with a Hornady Gas Check ( www.ranchdogmolds.com ) over 10.5 grains of SR4756 - which happens to be the charge my 45 colt Rugers like with a 255 grain cast bullet. Today that trend was tested and proved. The load averages 1420 fps and produced sub 1" groups once the barrel was fouled. I'll probably try this load for Cowboy Silhouette matches using this rifle. Mild shooting and low report.

Also shot my "big bore lite" Marlin 1894 in 45 colt. It really seems to like the 300 grain bullets better than the 255's. I've been shooting this rifle in the Pistol Caliber Cowboy Silhouette matches with the 255's jogging out there at 1150 fps. I'm thinking the 300's might add another 4 or 5 down. The 255's SLAM the targets. A low hit on a chicken will send it spinning into the air and over the berm. The 100 yard rams crash down with authority. The 1200 fps 300+ grain cast bullets might add to the drama.

Also shot the Ruger New Vaquero and my Single Sixes. The Winchester Bulk ammo seems to shoot VERY well in these producing the best groups of the day. The Federal Auto Match ammo did well too.

Marlin 336 CB and the Ranch Dog 165 grain bullet

I've had good luck with this bullet in all of my Marlin 336's, especially the Cowboy. I tested it with a variety of powders yesterday and all produced good groups - 1" or less at 50 yards with iron sights.

An easy shooting and very accurate load uses SR 4756 (NOT 4759). It rolls them out at a little over 1400 fps and on the fifth notch up from the bottom on the rear sight it pretty much zero's the 200 meter rams. The fourth notch is on for the 150 yard Turkeys and the third notch is essentially a 100 yard zero. Aiming at the foot of the 50 meter chickens rolls them over with a center body shot.

Another stand out load yesterday was the AA5744. Those that know my history know that I am not a big fan of this powder but yesterday it did produce some excellent groups. The downside is that this load prints 6" high with the rear sight elevator at the lowest point.

The worst of the day, but still pretty good was 2400. I have a bunch of this powder and I haven't found a good use for it since I sold my 44. I was hoping it would do a little better but the other powders did better.

No comments: