Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

On December 30th of last year I drafted a post - but didn't publish until today - about the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle.  Shortly there after I put one on order at my local gun monger's and it didn't take long before I had it in my hands.


This was my first Ruger bolt gun.  I've owned a few of their autoloading rimfire rifles and pistols, and I their revolvers are among my favorite guns (more on that later).  Anyway my first impressions were mostly favorable.  I like the "scout rifle" concept.  I've always liked peep sights on a bolt gun, probably because I grew up shooting a Remington 511P  - a magazine fed, peep sighted, 22lr with perhaps the worst trigger of any firearm I've ever owned.  My next rifle was a 1903 A3 and was my only centerfire rifle that received any attention for about 20 or so years of my life.  I still use it regularly in CMP type matches and it always delivers. 

Back to the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle (GSR).  It is diminutive.  It feels lighter than the scale reads.  The 10 round magazine that comes with the rifle is too big.  The sights are better than I expected.  The front sight is a bit thick but it works well.  The bolt is not as smooth as my Remingtons, CZ or 1903 A3 but has smoothed out with many manipulations. 


At the range the as shipped sight setting shot point of aim with most ammo I tested at 50 yards.  My early trips to the range I fed it a variety of ammuniton.  Everything from cast bullets (115-170grs and more recently 210 grain bullets) as well as Jacketed SP & RN (150 - 175 grain FMJ & JSP, FB and BT).  The preferences appear to lean toward the 165 grain jacketed bullet over IMR 4064 or Varget pushed over 2500 fps.

 

Cast bullets are proving to be accurate as well at both sub and supersonic speeds.  A load that seems to be very accurate with 115 - 210 grain cast bullets is a splash of W231 under any cast bullet.  The velocities range from a mere 550 fps up to 800 but inside of 25 yards it shoots POA and the POI is right where the front post was when the trigger broke.  The report is greatly reduced and the recoil is none existent. 

 

For higher cast bullet velocities Unique seems to produce the best results.  It gets real good over 1350 fps.  2400 seems to work well at velocities in the 1800+ range.

I did not hunt with this rifle this year but I did carry it in the field.  It carries well and was deadly on cones, knots, paper targets and soda cans.  A real pleasure to shoot.




I removed the provided spacers (three) and the rifle now in its shortest configuration.  The recoil pad is sticky which is good for running the bolt from the shoulder but a bit catchy on clothing when bring it to the shoulder.


Through their website Ruger offered 5 round magazines and I acquired two shortly after the rifle arrived.  More recently Ruger has poly mags in 10 (shorter than the original offering), 5 and 3 (flush mount) varieties.  I will be buying  at least two more 5 round poly mags as well as a 3 and probably two more 10's for the bug out bag.

I've tested dozens of loads and have still just scratched the surface.  The bullets that show the most promise are the Hornady 165gr JSP interlock at full power loads and cast bullets at subsonic levels.  My current favorite cast bullet is the Lyman 311041 (170gr) which is most commonly used in the 30-30.  It feeds well when the OAL is 2.520" and shoots accurately at velocities as low as 559 fps on up to 1800 fps.

2 comments:

Shooters Digest said...

Nice post about the Ruger Scout rifle. I have been looking at it online for months, but have yet to make up my mind to buy it. In fact I'm not sure I have even seen one in person. Everyone that has one seems to like it, which is as good of a sales pitch as any.

Whit Spurzon said...

They are neat bolt guns and this one has really impressed me. I like it better than I expected I would.