Saturday, April 23, 2011

Marlin 1897 Cowboy

Since acquiring the Marlin 1897 Cowboy I have put more than 2,000 rounds through it, competed in a half dozen matches, enjoyed many trips to the range and spent several days afield with it.  My appreciation for it has only grown more favorable.




The Cowboy weighs in a six pounds three ounces which is 13 ounces more than the 39 Century Ltd, yet due to its splendid balance the extra weight and length goes unnoticed.  I recently carried it afield for four days without a sling and never once felt encumbered, even when going cross country through thick woods.  Scouting was the primary purpose of my venture, taking the rifle along was simply a bonus that allowed me to hone marksmanship skills by testing the rifle on targets over unspecified ranges and from unrested field positions.  Not only did these exercise opportunities build my confidence with this rifle I have a LOT of fun.

With the snow in retreat Spring is making its way up the mountain.  I came across a number of Ruffed Grouse drumming logs.  I hope that bodes well for next September when the season opens up.

No comments: